The Roche LightCycler 480 Instrument II Real Time PCR System is a high-performance, medium- to high-throughput PCR platform (96- or 384-well plates) that provides various methods for gene detection, gene expression analysis, genetic variation analysis, and array data validation.
The system features the LightCycler® 480 Instrument, a versatile, plate-based real-time PCR device that supports mono- or multicolor applications, as well as multiplex protocols. The benchtop instrument is easily customizable to meet changing user requirements, and can be integrated into everyday use as a robotically controlled, automated high-throughput solution. The LightCycler® 480 Instrument is designed for general laboratory use and is not intended for use in diagnostic procedures.
- Obtain fast, highly sensitive, and reproducible results for qualitative and quantitative detection of nucleic acids, mutation scanning, and SNP analysis. Use basic and advanced methods for gene expression and genotyping based on endpoint analysis or melting curves.
- Benefit from cutting-edge thermal block and optical technology that leads to excellent well-to-well homogeneity and maximized detection sensitivity.
- Use a wide range of probe formats (e.g., FRET or HybProbe probes, SimpleProbe probes, hydrolysis probes) and fluorescent dyes (e.g., SYBR Green I, ResoLight Dye, FAM, HEX, Cy5, LightCycler® Red 610, LightCycler® Red 640, and LightCycler® CYAN 500).
- Choose the optimal type of multiwell plate (white or clear) to best fit your assay format, application, and workflow. Use the available adapter plate to also work with LightCycler® tube strips.
- Build a modular real-time PCR platform to meet your particular needs. Flexibly switch between plate formats and thermal block cyclers in just a few minutes with no recalibration time, and benefit from additional user-friendly software modules.
- Extract meaningful results via the state-of-the-art data analysis methods, in line with MIQE guidelines. Analyze true raw data without the need for passive reference dyes or normalization plates.
- Protect your data using a system compatible with 21 CFR part 11 requirements.
- Integrate the LightCycler® 480 System as part of a LIMS in combination with robotic pipetting and plate loading.
Use the LightCycler® 480 System to perform:
- Gene Quantification
- Gene detection
- Absolute quantification
- Relative quantification/gene expression analysis
- Genetic Variation Analysis
- Melt-curve genotyping with labeled probes
- Endpoint genotyping
- High-Resolution Melting (HRM)
- Multiple Plate Analysis
The LightCycler® 480 Instrument shows outstanding performance in terms of:
- High-performance hardware
- Innovative software
- Specially designed disposables
- Application-optimized reagents for a variety of experiments
The Roche LightCycler 480 Instrument II Real Time PCR System is a rapid, plate-based, thermal block cycler with integrated real-time, online detection capabilities. Based on a comprehensive improvement of the Peltier-based technology incorporated in a silver block, the instrument provides extraordinary well-to-well temperature homogeneity and maximized inter-well, inter-cycle reproducibility.
The special arrangement of optical components in the LightCycler®480 Instrument II ensures the uniform collection of signals across the plate and makes analysis independent of the sample position on the plate.
The Roche LightCycler 480 Instrument II Real Time PCR System setup enables the use of all current probe formats (e.g.,SYBR Green I, ResoLight dye for high-resolution melting, hydrolysis probes, HybProbe probes, SimpleProbe probes) and provides the ideal solution for fast and precise qualitative or quantitative detection of nucleic acids, genotyping, and mutation scanning. Channels and filters can be combined in different ways to allow flexibility in monocolor as well as multiplex assays.
The LightCycler®480 Software provides an intuitive, easy-to-navigate user interface for real-time PCR programming, data capture, and data analysis. It facilitates highly versatile and extensive data analysis to study gene expression and genetic variation.
|Dimensions (without computer)||60 cm x 60 cm x 54.5 cm (24 in x 24 in x 21.5 in)|
(W x D x H)
|Weight||Approximately 55 kg (121 lbs)|
|Sample Number||96 or 384|
|Reaction Vessel||96-well PCR plate, 384-well PCR plate|
|Reaction Volume||96-well PCR plate: 10 – 100 μL; 384-well PCR plate: 5 – 20 μL|
|Excitation Source||Broad-spectrum, high-intensity LED (390 – 710 nm)|
|Excitation Filters||440, 465, 498, 533, 618 nm (System II)|
|Detection Filters||488, 510, 580, 610,640, 660 nm (System II)|
|Measuring Mode||Real-time, online (continuous display of readings)|
|Temperature Control||Peltier-based heating/cooling|
|Run Time||<40 minutes (384-well PCR plate)|
The Roche LightCycler 480 Instrument II Real Time PCR System consists of a variety of components that ensure maximum accuracy, versatility, and speed in quantitative real-time PCR and genotyping.
LightCycler® 480 Block Kits
The LightCycler® 480 Block Kits consist of a block cycler unit for 96- or 384-well PCR plates, a corresponding block lid, and a storage box for both accessories. The user can quickly and easily exchange the thermal block cycler unit and the block lid. The new thermal block cycler unit and block lid are automatically detected and calibrated by the LightCycler® 480 Instrument after the instrument is turned on. No additional time-consuming calibrations are necessary.
LightCycler® 480 Software
The LightCycler® 480 Software uses unique Roche algorithms for highly accurate and robust automated data analysis. It enables users to quickly customize the system to meet different application requirements, from basic manual analysis, a wide choice of flexible quantification methods in line with MIQE guidelines, to tools for multiple plate analysis.
LightCycler® 480 Consumables
The LightCycler® 480 Multiwell Plates have been adapted to the special rapid cycling environment of the LightCycler® Thermal Block. LightCycler® 480 Multiwell Plates are available in clear or white. White plates provide maximized sensitivity, especially with HybProbe Probe-based assays. For assays using hydrolysis probes or SYBR Green, clear plates provide an alternative for easier monitoring of PCR setup.
LightCycler® 480 Reagents
The LightCycler® 480 Real-Time PCR System includes generic master mixes tailor-made for each key application in genomics research (gene identification, gene quantification, variation screening, and genotyping).
Click here to compare the LightCycler® 480 Kits & Reagents.
The Universal ProbeLibrary (UPL) combines the flexibility, availability, and convenience of SYBR Green I assays with the specificity of hydrolysis probe assays. The unique combination of online assay design software and only 165 pre-tested, real-time PCR probes allows quantification of virtually any transcript in the transcriptome of a large number of organisms.